Sunday, June 29, 2014

"Hopeless" (book review)


Hopelessly in love with this book by Colleen Hoover.
She will break your heart, twist your gut, and swoon you with love from Holder.

Warning: There is sexual content in this book, both sensual and sexual abuse. 

Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre:  Romance, New Adult College, Angst
Rating: 5 stars!







(rating system) I am not being compensated or swayed for this review in anyway.  Well, that's a lie it is my love of books that sways me..
No copyright intended for photos, book quotes, etc. 

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies.
        
That's what Linden Sky Davis realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she's never had before.  He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of their first encounter.
        
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. Unable to deny their intense connection, Sky finally caves to his unwavering pursuit.  However, she soon discovers that Holder's erratic and unpredictable behavior comes with a very good explanation.  One that will ultimately test her faith in the hopeless boy she's fallen in love with and in the only life she's ever known.   
Recommended for ages 17+ due to language and sexual situations.

-Amazon description

Spoiler alert past this point, you have been warned!

"completely and comfortably numb" - Hopeless (Sky)

Sky from the start is a dynamic character, you can sense something traumatic has happened to her, not by the tell tell signs, but by the small things.  Things that aren't normal for teenage girls, she is numb to feeling.  She is overly sheltered and she doesn't really question it.  You learn that she is actually keeping her mind sheltered and not letting too much in.  Her personality is wonderful in the way that she doesn't let things that would break most people get to her.  Her strength shows from the start.  Hoover captivated me with four words and that was "completely and comfortably numb", it reached in me and held me within the pages of this book. I knew it was going to make me laugh and cry all within it's pages, but I continued on. 

Insert Holder and things really start to spin because from the start he is the oddest character (on the verge of bi-polar) I have read, but I fall in love with him.  We learn that he is extremely passionate and holds so much wisdom, but he also holds truths that will ruin and shatter the world that Sky lives in.

"I'm afraid you won't feel it." - Hopeless (Holder)

In anticipation of their first kiss, he fears she won't feel it, but he has done nothing but make her feel since she met him and boy does she feel so many emotions in this book.  I did find it a little odd the way their relationship progressed as far as sensually, they kind of worked in reverse, but it made them that more interesting.  It showed me things about them that I can't really explain.  

Now, I usually don't read books with sexual content, but it wasn't too over the top and it didn't encompass the emotions or their love story so I dealt with it. 

Holder is so passionate and even Sky describes him as such, he brings her back into living and I love that they live each other.  Their relationship starts out rocky, but soon Holder is her rock and her confidence and it is truly beautiful. 

I really enjoyed the way that Hoover spoke through Sky about when Holder was taking parts of her heart and it was so emotionally beautiful when she gave him the very last piece of her heart.

"You stole the biggest piece of my heart that night."..... "I need you to watch me give you the very last piece of my heart."

Sigh.... true love from the start, fate really worked in their lives.  As the lies and truths unravel it is painful, shocking, and sickening, but Sky's strength is a beautiful thing and when she isn't strong she has Holder.  

Hoover also closes it up nicely, you get a happy beginning more than a happy ending because they are just starting to heal and they know it will take time, but they have a love that is more beautiful than the sky and you can picture them as each others forevers.  

"He reaches his hand out and wraps his pinky around mine."

I think I literally sighed, it was so beautiful and I actually love that she ended with a memory, a flashback, instead of the usually "So and so years later" ending, it was perfect for this book.

This book is a true roller coaster, but Hoover did an amazing job of wrapping it up and also making you feel every emotion that was put before you.  If you like to have your heart broke, repaired, and feel forever changed with a character this book is for you. 






No comments:

Post a Comment